School will be starting soon and children will be working on reading. It’s probably one of the hardest things a child will learn to do. The reading process is very complicated. What can a parent do to help with this process –READ TO YOUR CHILD! It’s that simple!
Reading to your child does so many things!
1. Children learn that reading is fun — by snuggling, laughing, talking with someone they love as they read.
2. The parent gives the message that reading is important — the parent takes time to do it.
3. Children build a literacy background — they learn how a book works, they hear and see words/sounds and begin to internalize these words/sounds. Reading will be easier with this literacy background. Anything is easier when you have a background/understanding of how something works.
4. Important topics can be discussed in a loving atmosphere .
5. They learn to love reading.
You are probably wondering when should I begin — right now! I believe parents should begin reading to a child in utero and continue as long as they let you. I read to my daughter up until 6th grade. We read some books with very important topics and they were discussed in a very pleasant, loving atmosphere
I loved teaching literacy, but my concern today is that we are not teaching the Joy that a book can bring! I believed that teaching the love of reading was as important as how to read! Parents can definitely help teach the joy of reading! Maybe a family reading time a few times a week for about 20 to 30 minutes would be fun to do!
Hope you will give it a go:) Reading is a fun thing to do!