Here are a few more ideas to make reading fun!
1. For little ones still sitting in a highchair –meal time stories. While your little one is eating, read them a story. I’m thinking this would eliminate some trouble at eating time and they hear a story! It’s a win – win!
2. A Book Swap Party — invite friends over. They bring a book they have read and they give a short book talk about the book. Then they trade books white elephant style. Probably a little talk about how the trade works so there is no tears during the exchange. Then they could have a snack and read their book or read book with a partner — each reading to each other.
3. Video your child reading a book and/or giving a book talk.
4. Creating a little nook for the child is always a great idea! A tent with pillows, a blanket, flashlight/lantern and lots of books!!! Or the same things in the bathtub or in a little hide out! Any where — just make it fun!
5. Leave piles of books around the house that they can explore and hopefully choose 1 or 2 and take off and read in their special place.
6. Graphic Novels! Oh my gosh! We took our grandsons to the library this summer and they would pick out a graphic novel or 2, they started reading in the car, and we never heard from them again until they were done. One was even locked in the car for a few minutes. We thought he got out, but no — he was SO INTO his graphic novel! There are TONS of graphic novels. They are 9 and 11!
7. Family Book Talks — everybody is reading a book and at dinner, everyone chats about it!
Hope you want to give some/all these ideas a go! Make reading a fun thing to do! Maybe you will come up with your own ideas! WE would love for you to share!